Good Friday is an essential quote for everyone who is religious and believes in the bible. It is the day where the Christian Church commemorates Jesus’ crucifixion. We have gathered 25 quotes that are meant for that special day.
Good Friday Quotes:
1. Stoning prophets and erecting churches to their memory afterward has been the way of the world through the ages. Today we worship Christ, but the Christ in the flesh we crucified. – Mahatma Gandhi
Everything Gandhi ever had to say was important, and this quote is not an exception at all. It is important to remember that day and what happened. And most importantly, what it all means to us. Stoning prophets has been a terrible tradition.
Nonetheless, we have to remember. To not let those things happen again. Such an important quote for every single Catholic!
2. No pain, no palm. No thorns, no throne. No gall, no glory. No cross, no crown. – William Penn
William Penn was the founding father of Pennsylvania around 1693. He was a smart man, and he, of course, also thought about Jesus on Good Friday. He believes that there is no glory without pain and that because Jesus went through this horrible experience, there has been glory afterward.
This is a very smart quote. Think about it for a while. You can also interpret this in many other situations, maybe even in your life.
3. Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone but in every leaf in springtime. – Martin Luther
Martin Luther worships our Lord within this quote and that we have thought of Him for everything. Without Him, there would not be leaves in the springtime, no glory, no light. This quote is about so much more than just Good Friday. It is about believing and being immensely grateful to the Lord, who we have to thank everything for.
4. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I founded empires, but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love, and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. – Napoleon Bonaparte
You can say a lot of things about Napoleon Bonaparte, but he was definitely a religious man. Even though he was a power hungry man, he is still able to put Jesus Christ above him. He realized that without his sacrifice, he could never live the life he and many other empire builders before him have lived.
He says that instead of using force, Jesus always used love. Sadly, Bonaparte went for force, but he could still see the grace of Jesus.
5. To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living. – John Henry Newman
John Henry Newman was a Catholic cardinal, who converted in 1845. He was a literary, who had a huge influence. That is why this quote is especially meaningful, because it does not only have an impact on us now but it had one back then as well. This quote is just a beautiful way to think of Jesus on Good Friday – and always!
6. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. – Peter, 2: 24
This bible quote has a deep meaning for many believers. It can be interpreted differently, and maybe you should find your own interpretation. We can definitely recommend you to keep a bible journal. Our thoughts are such a huge part of who we are and writing them down is like remembering who we once were.
7. The word “Christianity” is already a misunderstanding–in reality there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross. – Friedrich Nietzsche
Nietzsche was an important philosopher, who did not shy away from controversial opinions regarding religion. He believed that Jesus was the only true Christian and thinking about the why of that can probably have a very impactful meaning to you. You do not have to fully agree to a statement to learn something from it nonetheless.
8. What is good about Good Friday? Why isn’t it called Bad Friday? Because out of the appallingly bad came what was inexpressibly good. And the good trumps the bad, because though the bad was temporary, the good is eternal. – Randy Alcorn
Randy Alcorn is an author from the US, who has also been a pastor for 14 years. He tackles what many people have thought already. Why is it called “Good” Friday when the history of it is not necessarily good? The way he sums it up, is that the outcome has been good. And the good always trumps the bad. So deep and meaningful, we love that!
9. Good Friday marks the slaying of our Jesus, the unblemished lamb, the perfect sacrifice. He took our guilt and blamed upon Himself. -Unknown
This quote from an unknown author gives us goosebumps. It is saying the truth, without making it look pretty. It says it all. Why we need to remember Him on Good Friday and why we get to celebrate Easter. Sacrifice is a huge theme with this quote, and we think it is crucial to put a mark on that theme.
10. I believe in person to person. Every person is Christ to me, and since there is only one Jesus, that person is the one person in the world at that moment. – Mother Teresa
Mother Theresa put it very differently if you compare it to Nietzsche. What she said is beautiful and we are glad that this quote did not get lost over time. It is all about loving one another. This is about love and the good in people, this feels like something Jesus would have said Himself. So read it again, and think about it, okay?
11. Death is the justification of all the ways of the Christian, the last end of all his sacrifices, the touch of the Great Master which completes the picture. – Madame Anne Sophie Swetchine
Madame Anne Sophie Swetchine was a Russian mystic, who was religious as well. This quote is so true and so important to us. It is thanks to its theme ideal for Good Friday, and we are glad that you just read it and get to think about this.
12. A man who was completely innocent offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act. – Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi described what Jesus did as the perfect act, and yes, we agree. How Jesus sacrificed himself to help others. How he was not selfish, but wanted a world full of love. He was not petty, and he was not selfish. His behaviour is in fact an ideal that we can only strive for.
Not meaning that you have to sacrifice yourself, but maybe take today to think about yourself. Do you always act to help others or do you only act for yourself? Reflect on how you handle situations. You can always change your ways. Maybe today is the day to do so.
13. Good Friday… Way of the Cross. Fasting and abstinence…. Examine conscience. Have a really blessed day. – Unknown
This unknown quote is sometimes used in Good Friday greeting cards. No wonder, because it makes everything very clear. This day is about abstinence and fasting, about thinking about your ways, it is about change.
It is also about realizing how grateful we can be. How blessed we are. Take a minute to think about all of the blessings that you have. Realize how beautiful that is.
14. Good Friday is not about us trying to get right with God. It is about us entering the difference between God and humanity and just touching it for a moment. Touching the shimmering sadness of humanity’s insistence that we can be our own gods, that we can be pure and all-powerful.” – Nadia Bolz-Weber
Nadia Bolz Weber is a religious author, who summed up what Good Friday is all about for her. Do you agree? If not, what is Good Friday about in your opinion? We think that what she says is very smart, and we do agree.
But it is okay, if you feel and think differently about Good Friday. Put your intentions for the day into the universe, write them out. Take the day to help others, set goals on how you can do better. Think about how powerful you are. How thankful you are.
15. Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday. – Fulton J. Sheen
Fulton J. Sheen puts together that it is hard to take all of the blessings that come with Easter Sunday, if you do not see the hardships of Good Friday. The Good and the Bad go hand in hand, the one cannot exist without the other.
But the good always trumps the bad. Still, you have to be able to see both. That is what we think Sheen wanted to say with this statement.
16. The way of the cross is the way of suffering. Christians are called to die, not kill, in order to show the world how they are loved by Christ. – John Piper
John Piper is a theologian from the United States, who shows his hunger for peace with this quote. How Jesus showed that it is about kindness, about being brave, but not sacrificing others for it. This quote is super powerful if you take a minute to think about it.
17. Christ has not only spoken to us by his life but has also spoken for us by his death. – Soren Kierkegaard
Soren Kierkegaard was a philosopher from Denmark. He was religious and some of his quotes are still talked about today. Just like this one. It is about the message that Jesus sent by dying. That message was just as powerful as the ones that he spread while he was still alive.
This quote leaves us with goosebumps. Some things do not have to be said to be said, you know? Jesus’ life is one of those things.
18. Our old history ends with the cross, our new history begins with the resurrection. – Watchman Nee
This Watchman Nee quote can be interpreted in so many ways. You can take it and apply it to your life, and your Good Friday this year. That you are getting a new start right now.
But it can also be interpreted in a much deeper way, in that a new era began because of the cross. For Christians and for the world. How would you interpret this? This is a great journal prompt for Good Friday.
19. The cross of Christ shows us that God’s love is of deepest descent… universal distribution… and of eternal duration. – Dr. Fred Barlow
Dr. Fred Barlow was a pastor in New York. He says with this quote that the cross shows us the universal love of God that lasts forever. We think this is sad and beautiful at the same time. Dr. Fred Barlow was a smart man and this quote definitely makes us think about the blessings that we have because of Jesus.
20. Good Friday is the mirror held up by Jesus so that we can see ourselves in all our stark reality, and then it turns us to that cross and to his eyes and we hear these words, Father forgive them for they know not what they do. That’s us! – Robert G. Trache
Robert G. Trache is a Reverend from the US, who made a good point about Good Friday. It makes us think and reflect about our decisions. It makes us want to be better. It makes us want to be better because of Jesus, because of this terrible day, that will soon turn into joy.
We are just so thankful and feel immensely blessed and we hope that you can feel all of these feelings through these amazing quotes as well. We hope you always feel loved and blessed.
The next five quotes stand for themselves. Read them, reflect on them, and think about Jesus and what he gave.
21. Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” – John 11:25-26
22. The Cross was the manifestation of Divine love without reserve or limit, but it was also the expression of man’s unutterable malignity. – Sir Robert Anderson
23. For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him, and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day. – Mark 9:31
24. So shall we join the disciples of our Lord, keeping faith in Him in spite of the crucifixion, and making ready, by our loyalty to Him in the days of His darkness, for the time when we shall enter into His triumph in the days of His light. – Philip Ledyard Cuyler
25. By the cross we, too, are crucified with Christ, but alive in Christ. We are no more rebels, but servants, no more servants, but sons! – Frederic William Farrar
It does not matter how you choose to spend this Good Friday and Easter in general. If you are fasting or not. As long as your thoughts and prayers are with Jesus. We hope you enjoyed our little quote collection.
Feel free to use those quotes to journal your thoughts regarding the topic and everything else that comes to your mind. We wish you and your family a happy Easter.